BCAC Five Year Strategic Plan
It is our pleasure to introduce the BCAC Strategic Plan for 2013-2017. Aviation is critical to enabling and growing the BC economy. The aviation sector supports British Columbians in their everyday lives. It is the job of the BCAC, in partnership with members, stakeholders, and our community, to positively influence the well-being of British Columbia’s aviation sector. It is only by innovating and finding new ways to work together will we see a visible, connected, and thriving aviation and aerospace industry in BC.
This Strategic Plan is a high-level overview of how we will focus the efforts of BCAC over the next five years to achieve this vision.
Learn More About the BCAC
The BCAC welcome individuals and organizations, including aviation executives, pilots, airport managers, suppliers to the industry, aviation enthusiasts, and students.
Become a Member of the BCAC
BCAC Airport Committee Planning Workshop in Kelowna
The BCAC Airport’s annual spring workshop is being planned for April 29 and 30th in Kelowna. Details are being finalized so SAVE THE DATE to attend.
Silver Wings Awards Event a Great Success!
The annual Silver Wings Awards was held 30 October at the Vancouver Convention Centre West and saw some 280 in attendance. BCAC members, guests, award and scholarship winners all enjoyed the networking opportunities, live entertainment, great food and the chance to bid on some great silent auction items from travel to golf packages. The emcee, CBC personality Johanna Wagstaffe, opened the awards by introducing the Honourable Mike de Jong, BC Minister of Finance whose address included a welcome on behalf of the Premier and Province of BC. The 2014 industry award and scholarship winners were ‘piped’ in to the ceremony and received an enthusiastic welcome applause from the audience. Award winners received recognition for their varied contributions to the industry with presentation of annual trophies, and aviation students received a number of scholarships to further their aviation studies in fields of pilot training, airport management, and aviation maintenance. A new scholarship was introduced this year, the Mary Swain Memorial, awarded to Rachel Lichti, and Tony Swain was on hand to meet the recipient.
This years winners:
1. Aviation Entrepreneur of the Year — Westjet Encore
2. Back and Bevington Air Safety Award — BC Hydro Aircraft Operations Department
3. Robert S. Day Award — Kelly Jamieson (Pilot, and Chair of the Aviation Leadership Foundation Mentorship Program)
4. William Templeton Award — North Peace Regional Airport (Fort St. John)
5. Lifetime Achievement in Aviation — John Morris (Blackcomb Aviation)
1. Al Michaud Memorial Scholarship — Nigel Schatz, Pacific Flying Club
2. Anne and Rudy Bauer Memorial Scholarship — Wenny Chiu, Pacific Flying Club
3. Ernie Alexander Memorial Scholarship — Robert Higgins, BCIT
4. Barry & Jim Aviation Maintenance Graduate — Geoffrey Pilgrim, BCIT
5. BCAC Airport Managers Airport Ops/Mgt Training Scholarship — Lauren Lee and Lucie Stevens, BCIT
6. William Templeton Airport Ops/Mgt Training Scholarship — Cheshire Lin, BCIT
7. Mary Swain Memorial Scholarship — Rachel Lichti, Coastal Pacific Aviation
Post Accident Life Cycle Workshop Sold Out on October 30th!
A packed meeting room listened to four panels of experts present on the topic of dealing with the various events and authorities that come into play after an aviation accident. The workshops goal was to provide attendees with a time-line of events that one can expect to deal with immediately after an aviation accident. What agencies you would be working with, what information you should have ready in case of an accident, how to keep an operation running through investigation of the event, liaising with media, and managing the emotional trauma of employees and family, were discussed in detail.
Speakers: (Click on speakers name for their presentation)
The First 24 Hours–
1. Nav Canada — Greg Down, Shift Manager, Vancouver Area Control Center
2. DND — Capt. Greg Clarke, Air Coordinator, Joint Coordination Center Victoria, RCAF
3. RCMP — Sgt. Cam Kowalski, Richmond Detachment
4. BC Coroners Service — Vincent Stancato, Deputy Chief Coroner
24 Hours to Seven Days
1. TSB — Glen Friesen, Senior Investigator (Ops), Pacific Region
2. Media — Alyn Edwards, Partner, Peak Communications
3. Post Trauma Counselling — Christy Waisman, MA, R.C.C., Clinical Counsellor
Keynote Speaker — Doug Kelsey, President & GM, BC Rapid Transit — “Leading in Crisis”
Seven Days to 30 Days
Transport Canada Civil Aviation — Trevor Heryet, Regional Director, Civil Aviation, Pacific Region
Role of Legal, Insurance & Communication Advisors
1. Insurer — Stephan Roess, Sr VP & COO, Willis Aerospace Canada
2. Legal Counsel — Michael Dery, Partner, Alexander Holburn
3. Restoring Public Confidence — Alyn Edwards, Partner, Peak Communications
Chris Hadfield Becomes Honorary Member of BCAC
BCAC attended April 17th event in Vancouver where Astronaut Chris Hadfield addressed approx. 1000 students from across the lower mainland. At an evening event at BCIT Aerospace Technology Centre, BCAC directors and Executive Director present Commander Hadfield with a BCAC pin and welcomed him as an honorary member of the organization. The directors also thanked our youth committee and student BCAC members for their interest and support of aviation. Commander Hadfield reminded us all to think safety and worry about the details.
(L-R) BCAC directors Rebecca Catley and Jamie Molloy, Commander Hadfield, BCAC Executive Director Vanessa Griffiths, and BCAC directors Peter Barratt and Heather Bell.
Anderson Family Scholarship
The John Anderson family of North Vancouver BC has agreed with the BCAC to fund a $5,000 scholarship, awarded in June each year to a young aspiring pilot. This Award, called the “Anderson Family Flight Training Scholarship”, will be administered by the BCAC.
We are pleased to announce the winner for 2014 is Sean Flynn of Surrey, taking training at Pacific Flying Club in Delta. Congratulations Sean! We will share progress updates.
BC Aviation Council’s vision is “An Aviation and Aerospace Community that is Visible, Connected, and Thriving”.